...After the early deaths of their husbands and the decline of their brother Patrick, the sisters (including those who were unmarried and also their aunts) moved back south of the Liffey at the beginning of 1882, leasing upper stories of an eighteenth-century house overlooking the Liffey quays at 15 Ushers Island, in the same area where the late Mr. Lyons had run his hide business. Here in the large gracious rooms, the sisters continued to advertise their music classes still under the style of the Misses Flynn. Here they gave the annual Christmastime parties for their pupils and musical friends which Joyce's parents attended and which inspired the setting of his story 'The Dead'.

 

From a Biography by Peter Costello